What have you done today to make you feel proud?

Just had a quick look through the claims to prior learning handbook and found a good blog of Helen's from last year, read it here....

http://helenkindred.blogspot.com/2017/09/

I think this module will be a lot about where I am right now and how my past experiences have got me here. From this I thought I'd start by creating a little mind map of what I've been part of during my dance journey.


It actually made me feel really proud of everything I've achieved so far as a dance teacher. The course start has also come at a time when I've been offered my first work as a dance lecturer at a college too. So I'm very excited to use what I learn during my teaching in my MA studies.

I have come to realise that outcomes don't necessarily have to be used to verify you as a person and what value to bring to jobs/studies/family/friends/anything in life. But it is hard to remember this sometimes.

Tomorrow I'm running my first half marathon and I'm really excited about it. I have been worried about it as two other people I'm running with (my boyfriend and a friend from work) are both naturally good runners and will be much faster than me. I started to get downhearted about the fact it wasn't enough I was running a half marathon because I would always be over shadowed by them as they had run it faster.

But I suddenly realised..... I'M RUNNING A HALF MARATHON. I have never run one before and I only started running AT ALL 2 years ago, not even able to run 1km and now I will be running 13.1 miles. That's something I am going to be proud of whether I come first or last, because I know running has taken me on a great journey.

The same could maybe be said for my dance 'career' or my dance experience. I didn't get into vocational college the first year, I had to audition again - and I got in. I am proud of this. I didn't give up, even when I thought I should.

I stopped dancing completely when I moved to London - I hated the experiences and it caused me so much anxiety. I decided to do exercise instructing and got my qualifications and did dance exercise - I loved it! I loved teaching - it was just like being back at my dance school back home where I taught. I opened a business and taught dance and exercise, I worked in community halls, yoga studios, colleges and schools. I sometimes made money, I sometimes lost money. I am proud of this, I did it all on my own, marketing, hiring venues, planning classes and choreography.

The led me to decide to continue studying for my degree (I started but stopped in the previous year). I worked a full time job, ran dance classes after work and achieved a first class honours degree in January this year. I am proud of this. I got my degree years later than others, but it doesn't matter because I know I worked hard for it.

My partner and I are planning to move to the coast somewhere next year and move out of London. Because of this I have been making connections with colleges in the south coastal area to do work experience, to talk about different courses, to find out more about university assessment and how different courses run. From this I gained a work experience placement at Southampton Solent University and got to work with their amazing department and teach their fantastic students. I also got to work at a college and teach their students too. I am proud of this. There hasn't really been a massive response from all the places I contacted but I have been forward thinking, created opportunities for myself and learnt an incredible amount during talking to different professionals.

This led me to get my job at Southampton City College - so I'll be commuting half the week their and continuing the rest of the week as a health practitioner. I am SO proud of this. I know the travel will be completely worthwhile when I get to train students and prepare them for university or vocational college after they finish the course.

Sometimes I feel like I'm so behind with everything in life; degrees, careers, travel, marriage/family, house... but actually I don't think we are ever behind - we are always exactly where we need to be. Because if I hadn't gone on this journey I wouldn't have all the knowledge and life experience I have now, and perhaps my mind wouldn't be as open to new ideas and reflective learning.

So perhaps instead of comparing ourselves to others, we should try to focus in on our own journey, and then share this with people - and be proud of ourselves and each others achievements. Would love to hear some of your learning journeys and what you are proud of!

Chrissie x

Comments

  1. Very cool to hear a bit of your background! Like yours, my journey has been a bit windy in the last few years, but I'm proud that I'm finishing my degree this winter and pursuing professional opportunities everywhere I can.

    Congrats on that half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply Hannah - that's fantastic about your degree! And yes I agree doing everything you can and manifesting that positive energy about what you want!

      Delete
  2. Chrissie what a lovely reflection on your career and your dance story. I truly admire your tenacity and continuity in a career in which change is inevitable and challenges are everywhere. You should be proud and celebrate your accomplishments every day. I am glad to have you as a classmate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you Marianella - I am equally glad to have you as a classmate too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching post analysis: Researcher diary entry 7th December

A critical reflection on my learning journey from start to finish

Making dance classes fun